Every fiction author will (eventually) find their own method for writing but all fall somewhere on the spectrum between outlining/plotting and discovery writing/pantsing/writing into the dark.
In this excerpt from How To Write a Novel, I share two chapters on the topic from the audiobook, narrated by me (Joanna Penn).
- The benefits and difficulties of outlining
- How to outline and examples from authors who use this method
- The benefits and difficulties of discovery writing (and why I hate the term pantsing!)
- Examples of authors who discovery write
- My writing process: Discovery writing with a hint of plotting
- Links to books and resources that might help you