Typography: What Is That Called?

Nicholas C. Rossis

Have you ever wondered why some parts of letters are called tails and stems, and what are other parts besides them called?

As David Maier explains, a lot of the terminology seems to come from human and animal counterparts with roughly the same shape or position (eye, tail, head, foot, shoulder, arm, beak). Others are more directly descriptive (crossbar, terminal, bowl).

Here is what the various letter parts are called:

Typography | From the blog of Nicholas C. Rossis, author of science fiction, the Pearseus epic fantasy series and children's book

View original post

One thought on “Typography: What Is That Called?


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.