It’s hard to overstate the importance of strong characters in a narrative. Think of all of the characters from your favorite novels (Scarlett O’Hara-Gone With the Wind, Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood, King Arthur, Dorothy-Wizard of Oz).
Your goal as a writer should be to have your characters stay with the reader long after they finish the story. The reader should connect with them, see them as real people, and feel as if they know them…or wish they did.
You have to know your characters before you introduce them in your story. J K Rowling spent 5 years doing complete biographies on all of the characters in her Harry Potter series before she even started writing the novels. It’s that important.
- What does your character look like?
- What are your characters’ thoughts?
- What actions and deeds are typical of your character?
- How does your character talk?
- What is your character’s name?
View original post 251 more words