There are many ways that a book or author may be perceived as amateurish.
Many of these correspond to doing what seems intuitive or convenient:
- Commenting on reviews.
- Not realizing that the cover is a visual representation of what quality to expect.
- Including the word “by” before your name.
- Using the default settings in Microsoft Word.
- Creating indents with the spacebar or using the Enter key to pagebreak.
Others are more subtle:
- Not seeking editorial reviews to earn buyer confidence.
- Typing two spaces after a period.
- Poor font selection.
- Not using Word’s style functions and First Line Indent from the Paragraph menu.
- Getting a free .wordpress.com site instead of buying a domain or using .org.
Add to this at least 90% of the things done in the name of “marketing.”
If it’s not professional, does that make it amateurish?
Unfortunately, I see comments about other books and…
View original post 1,240 more words