Here’s another interesting article from, Nicholas 👍😃
No, Tom Swift is not a person. A Tom Swifty is a phrase in which a quoted sentence is linked by a pun to the manner in which it is attributed. The standard syntax is for the quoted sentence to be first, followed by the (humorous) description of the act of speaking. The hypothetical speaker is usually, by convention, called “Tom.”
Perhaps a few examples will help illustrate what Tom Swifties are all about, courtesy of Wikipedia and Fun With Words, which have hundreds more of these (and remember, the best puns always come with a groan).
- “I need a pencil sharpener,” said Tom bluntly.
- “Oops! There goes my hat!” said Tom off the top of his head.
- “I have a split personality,” said Tom, being frank.
- “This must be an aerobics class,” Tom worked out.
- “I only have diamonds, clubs, and spades,” said Tom heartlessly.
- “Don’t add…
View original post 835 more words